Articles | Volume 14, issue 1
https://doi.org/10.5194/hgss-14-23-2023
https://doi.org/10.5194/hgss-14-23-2023
Article
 | 
21 Feb 2023
Article |  | 21 Feb 2023

History of the Potsdam, Seddin and Niemegk geomagnetic observatories – Part 1: Potsdam

Hans-Joachim Linthe

Viewed

Total article views: 1,528 (including HTML, PDF, and XML)
HTML PDF XML Total BibTeX EndNote
1,198 242 88 1,528 28 32
  • HTML: 1,198
  • PDF: 242
  • XML: 88
  • Total: 1,528
  • BibTeX: 28
  • EndNote: 32
Views and downloads (calculated since 06 Dec 2022)
Cumulative views and downloads (calculated since 06 Dec 2022)

Viewed (geographical distribution)

Total article views: 1,528 (including HTML, PDF, and XML) Thereof 1,497 with geography defined and 31 with unknown origin.
Country # Views %
  • 1
1
 
 
 
 

Cited

Latest update: 17 Jun 2024
Short summary
Gauß, Weber and Humboldt initiated the systematic observation of the Earth’s magnetic field in Germany. The first geomagnetic observatories were installed in Munich, Berlin and Wilhelmshaven. The Potsdam Magnetic Observatory was officially opened on 1 January 1890. Due to anthropogenic disturbances, a sub-observatory was installed in 1907 in the village of Seddin. The launch of the DC-powered service of the Berlin suburban railway system in 1928 terminated the observations in Potsdam.